Sunday, January 29, 2006

"How Do I Work This?"

With all apologies to David Byrne and the Talking Heads....

I've gotten a few questions about how this blog works in terms of the ads and my getting paid for this. Here are some quick answers:

For the ads at the top of the page underneath "Now settle in and enjoy the ride", if you click on one of them, I receive the princely sum of ~$0.14, thanks to Google's AdSense program. It's a so-called 'smart' program and there's a search filter that goes through my post and keys in on certain words and attempts to target the ads according to my content. Just for shits and giggles, I'm tempted to post up one of my Hunter Thompson-esque outbursts just to fuck with the system and see what ads pop up next. Probably something concerning mental health or lack thereof...

Now some of you might think "hmmm, what's to stop someone from writing a script that clicks on the ad multiple times and raking in scads 'o cash?" This has been addressed lately and suffice to say, it's a no-no. I believe there's something that registers IP addresses and if too many clicks come from it, they investigate the account for fraud.

Also, there are a series of ads on the right-hand side of the page. There's one to sign up for this Google AdSense. If you click on that and set up AdSense for your blog, I get a referral fee. When you make your first $100 on your blog, I get $100 as well.

Ok, moving along, there are those items on the right under my recommended books and music. This is a separate program via Amazon.com. If you click on those links and buy any of those items, I get a small sellers commission. So if you've lent out your copy of Fear & Loathing and it's been 3 years and hasn't been returned, click on through and you get your book and I get cash. I will be adding/updating those ads over the next few weeks.

So that is all ye need to know. Any questions, ask away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google